Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Sunday Stitchers - April - UFO Challenge #1 - My Small world

I loved the pattern for My Small World when I first saw it.  It was in Quiltmania Spring 2015, but I don't recall when I first saw it.

I had/have no shortage of bright coloured fabrics and thought they would go well with a pale batik sky - and I had part of a jelly roll left over from something as well as some other bits of fabrics...fat quarters etc.

I found an Instagram group that were making it as a group thing and joined in.  The plan for the IG group was to make certain number of blocks each month - for example all the small flying geese blocks.  
That worked for a while, but I later decided to go with the "make Section 1, make Section 2...etc" approach.
Part of that group also led me to someone who had created foundation paper piecing patterns - free - as long as you could show her you had purchased the pattern. 
Jen Kingwell patterns are all about "use template AB to make.....".  I find the pattern difficult...so the foundation paper piecing patterns were invaluable to give me the measurements...

My first lot of work on this was at a retreat in November 2019 - here
I see I also made a hot air ballon to be included.  I have since decided to remake that a little differently...it will be part of Section 6.

I started constructing Section 1 in February 2020 - here

I had sections 1 and 2 finished here - interestingly as part of the SS Challenge for 2021.....

I did some more in April 2022 at a retreat - here - but it's not a good retreat project - too many bits & pieces to sort out!

It's been hanging in a wardrobe - attached to a large piece of flanelette - time to get it out again.

My plan for the SS Challenge #12 was to do Section 3 - well I had done the bulk of it - so I have changed my Challenge List to be Parts 3 & 4.  Section 5 is designated as my #11 project.  Now that I have been working on it - I have "fallen in love" with it again...so perhaps it would be good if that is the next number...except I have some catching up to do!.


Sections 3 and 4:



And - the Challenge Number for April was drawn on Sunday - and YES!!!!  It is #11 - so I will start working on that section later.

I have some other things I need to sort out first.

10 comments:

Maria said...

Your “My Small World” is growing beautifully…
Mine was finished a few years ago and hangs in the lounge.

loulee said...

Lots of bright and pretty blocks. It's looking good.

Lin said...

Nice to see this out and about again - sections 3 and 4 look lovely. xx

Chookyblue...... said...

your world is developing.........

Helenchaffin said...

lately it's been a challenge to catch up on my challenges 🤣 your quilt blocks are coming along beautifully!

Jeanna said...

Sounds like a fun challenge. I look forward to following your progress.

kiwikid said...

That is a tricky quilt to make I am told, yours is looking great, perfect to do it as part of the SS challenge.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely to see it in real life and good progress made and nice it can continue this month.

ButterZ said...

I have that pattern book too. I bought it years ago when I visited her shop. I have not started it but will one day. I would love to know the site you got the tips from.

Janice said...

It’s so good to hear that you have fallen in love with it again. Maybe it just needs a bit of a rest. Have fun working on the next sections.