Tuesday, August 23, 2022

FNSI - August - and SS Retreat

Lucky to be on a real retreat for FNSI - August with some of the "Sunday Stitchers" ladies.

I started sewing mid afternoon - and quilted these pieces - ready to be made into placemats.
My employer gives us two Volunteer Leave days a year - so I used one of them to sew for charity and saved a day of Annual Leave.
Great to share my progress with Wendy and fellow FNSI'ers.

A lot of my fellow sewers were finishing off charity quilts and I think a bit of my Saturday morning was spent discussing them as well as a bit more quilting and starting on making the placemats.

After lunch - it was Mystery Project time.   Helen and I had been selected to think up a project for the retreat and as we have been quite focused on charity projects lately . . .and we had been able to secure some unusual fabric (ie not suitable for quilts, but still useable), we decided that the project could be placemats to give to Meals on Wheels.
A few weeks ago we had cut the tops, wadding and backings - everyone had been asked to bring a walking foot if possible and green & burgundy thread.

We handed out 2 to each sewing person and by Saturday night we had a stack of 14 finished mats.


After that, I was able to finish off my set of 7 (odd number I know - there will be more)

Then I moved onto a "Secret Project"

Overall, it was a great fun weekend - we were in a new venue - the lighting wasn't excellent, but I had taken a light (fortunately).

Most of the crew sewed charity things all weekend - I forgot to do a tally - but at least 4 jelly roll race tops were finished, one quilt top of squares and many tops had borders added.

There was time set aside for Morning & Afternoon teas and lunch - dinner was a bit of "eat whenever you want to".

Two retreats in a month??? - easy in some ways as I really only had to pack & organise once - but also a bit too close to each other.   Nevermind, rather have too many than none.


9 comments:

Susie H said...

How nice of the boss to give you two charity days per year. Community service is so fulfilling and not having to take annual leave for it is wonderful. Love all the placemats you showed. They will brighten the table for your seniors.

Maria said...

Great pile of placemats for Meals on Wheels …

loulee said...

A great addition to the meals on wheels placemat bundle.

Chookyblue...... said...

it is amazing that you get two days for volunteer work.......glad you had a great time at retreat......3rd time lucky???

ButterZ said...

That is so true.
We have to take the time away when we can. And luckily we can get them now.

Fiona said...

I thought of you all... great placemats you all did ...
Hugz

Lin said...

Very nice placemats and lots of fun too I am sure. xx

Helen said...

It was a great weekend and so many wonderful projects done bu all....

kiwikid said...

You had a busy and productive time there.