Sunday, September 1, 2024

Milo's Quilt - RSC 2023

My grandchildren get an I Spy quilt when they turn 2.
Luka's is here 
and Peyton's is here

Now it's Milo's turn.
in 2023 - for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I made two blocks of novelty fabrics in each colour with a plan to make these into quilts for Milo and Montana.

Making the blocks was relatively easy - though I had to 'beg" a few fabrics in some colours.  Then I had to add 144 3.5" squares!!!   I have a fairly large collection of novelty fabrics, a friend gave me all of her collection....but I was still struggling to get enough...(remember I was making 2 quilts....)...and I found a lady on Facebook who was selling pre-cut squares, so I purchased a bunch from her.  As I was finishing the quilt, I found a few repeats, so swapped them out....but I stopped looking closely in case I found more!

Although Milo turned 2 in August - he lives in Townsville and I wasn't keen on trusting the quilt to the postal service if I could avoid it.  We are off to Townsville on Tuesday for some Nana & Pa cuddles, so the deadline was set! 


For the backing, I chose an alphabet panel showing various fish and sea creatures (Milo's dad is a keen fisherman) and an indigenous-inspired pattern that looks a bit like waves...(well, in my mind)

The fish panel is "Deep Blue Sea by Stephanie Peterson Jones" 


and includes some questionably named fish....

Cowfish, Lumpfish, IcebBlue Zebra fish, Unicornfish, Rabbitfish,
Quillback rockfish.  I googled them and they really do exist!
(Fortunately)

The backing:


I have less than 12 months to make the second one like this for Montana.  Wonder what I will find for backing for her...her dad is also a keen fisherman.

7 comments:

Lin said...

Great finish Susan and I love the wavy backing fabric. Fish do have some strange names don't they! Enjoy your trip. xx

loulee said...

Milo is a very lucky young man and I'm sure he will love his quilt for many years. Yep, the backing fabric does look like waves.
Enjoy your cuddles.

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt Susan, well done

Maria said...

Lovely finish Sue and I’m sure Luke will love it.
Enjoy your visit.

Karen's Korner said...

Many happy hours of "spying" ahead of Milo. Enjoy those cuddles.

Jeanna said...

That is a very nice I Spy quilt for your grandson. The backing fabric is perfect for it. Hope you had safe travels and got lots of cuddles.

Janice said...

He will love it. That is one impressive collection of novelty prints.