Saturday, December 29, 2018

December Finishes and Sunday Stitchers UFO Challenge

I've already posted a number of finishes for December - because I had them ready for a particular meeting.  Some are very small - like the 60 angels I've made, or the little tree decorations.

But in the lead up to Christmas there were a lot more finishes...
**Warning long post***

Holly Cottage Christmas Quilt

Our Sunday Stitchers Challenge number to end the year was - of course- #6 - which was my version of Michelle Ridgway's Holly Cottage Christmas.

I started this quilt in conjunction with a Stitch A Long Blog - this time hosted by Fiona - there was a plan of when to make blocks and when to finish it - I think my blocks were all done on time - but not my finish....I still want to add a bit more before I post on the SAL Blog but I showed this at the December SS meeting as my #6:


I did make many changes to the original pattern - and a formal apology to Michelle - I started off following the pattern - although I left out the words, but then it became a quilt for my eldest daughter and she wanted certain things in it - so I deviated a lot more from the pattern.

It was beautifully quilted by Fiona...just perfect ...
I have now gifted it to my daughter and her husband as part of their Christmas present and they are delighted.

Updated August 2021...for some reason the quilt was still with me...so I added some presents to the tree block:



but it is now safely delivered to them in Townsville, so no more additions!.

Ruth's Quilt

I also showed Ruth's Quilt at Sunday Stichers - another group project  - hosted by the No Fuss team.

I really enjoyed making this quit.

I personalised a lot of the blocks to include the various sewing groups and retreats that I go to. 
I must admit it was a battle to get these both finished in time along with all the other Christmas stuff that happens - maybe next year I will be ahead of the game??? maybe...probably not.

Crochet blocks


Only 6 crochet blocks this month



 Alphabet Book

My eldest daughter is due to have a baby in March and I have made her a cloth alphabet book.  I started this in September or so....and in November she decided to have a "Book Themed" baby shower....so it is very appropriate...Guess I chose well.

I loved doing the Q page....



I have since gifted this to her too - as she had the Baby Shower whilst down in Brisbane for Christmas.  It was a big hit!

Mini Quilts

My best friend (Maureen) and I swap presents each year and we decided to stick with the mini quilt idea - this year it was Christmas themed.
I had thought about a bauble made from strips of fabric and ribbon which I started in October...and then I saw a lovely Crazy Christmas tree as a machine embroidery project...mmm...couldn't decide - so I made both - I gave this one to Maureen


and I have kept this one for me


Non slip machine foot pedal mats


I actually made two of these - I've given one away .  This one is for my eldest daughter - I added it to a sewing box and thread holder which were her Christmas presents.


Boy!!! no wonder I was busy in December!!!

There are still 2 days of december - what else can I finish???


12 comments:

Maria said...

All your special finishes are lovely Susan...Well done.
Now to make that UFO list ready to start again in 2019.

Helen said...

Oh wow you were busy....yeo you can fit something else in...lol

Janice said...

Boy! I’m tired just reading if all your projects, not to mention that December is crazy already. You did so well and must be really happy with your finished projects. Now you will be able to start some new things in the new year.

Rosie said...

Great work, you are an inspiration to me to get going on my UFO's....and maybe start a couple more! LOL!

Michelle Ridgway said...

You were one busy elf Susan. Beautiful finishes. I love your version of Holly Cottage Christmas quilt xx

Jenny said...

What a great idea.

Jenny said...

And i love the mini quilts, you have been busy Susan. Happy New Year

Fiona said...

Gosh you went crazy over Christmastime... .well done on a bunch of wonderful finishes...
Hugz

retdairyqueen said...

Busy alright and so much quilted loveliness

Bethan said...

Amazing finishes - my favourite has to be the Alphabet book. So creative and fun x

creations.1 said...

A lovely lot of finishes here - well done

Unknown said...

I love your ALPHABET book Susan, is there a pattern or did you make it up yourself? My eldest daughter had our first grandchild in December and I'd love to make one for little James.