Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Granddaughters Quilts.

Guilty of lagging behind, dragging the chain . . . . . again . . .still . . . .

I should have had a quilt ready for GD1 (Peyton) when she turned 2 (August)...My Bad! as they say . . . and I should have had a quilt ready when her younger sister (Montana) was born (a week before GD1's birthday in August) . . again!!! My Bad!!!

Finally, both done & handed over...

GD1's Quilt 

I Spy on one side and a "map" on the other side.  I think Peyton prefers the map - but it was turned over several times when I was there...LOL


I quilted the outside of the roads, and the buildings, 
did lines for the trees and benches etc...
If only I could FMQ well.

GD2's Quilt

When GD1 was on the way - my daughter (DD2) asked for a Toy Story Quilt.  This time it was her partner's turn to choose a theme and he chose Jurassic Park Dinosaurs . . .challenging for a girl . . .
but after some online shopping DD2 found some fabrics . . I added more . . .and one thing led to another and we have double sided quilt. .  .I don't like to make things easy.

One side is mainly fabrics from Spoonflower - a couple of Spotlight ones and 2 machine embroidered blocks to show the Jurassic park logo.

The other side features an alphabet panel of dinosaurs - yes the common ones like Tyrannosaurus Rex, but a few odd ones . . .including a "Fukuisaurous".  In fact, a Fukuisaurus (meaning "Fukui (Fortunate) lizard") is a genus of herbivorous ornithopod dinosaur that lived during the Early Cretaceous in what is now Japan.


I quilted dinosaur shapes, dinosaur feet in two sizes, 
a couple of suns and cloud shapes, 
using the embroidery machine.

I did hand these over in October and am pleased to have them both done & dusted.

8 comments:

Janice said...

Yep, you do make things difficult by making the quilts double sided……but aren’t they wonderful. I can understand why the map is the favourite side. I’m sure the girls won’t mind that they were a teensy bit late in arriving.

kiwikid said...

Well done to have both the quilts finished. They look amazing! Well done too to make them double sided.

Lin said...

Two lovely quilts Susan. xx

Jo said...

Both quilts are wonderful. I can see why they will be loved.

Denice Barker said...

How nice! Two quilts in one to fit the mood of the day.

Fiona said...

Two wonderful quilts.... you are overthinking FMQ..... you just need to hold the quilt together.....
Hugz

jude's page said...

Well done susan, sometimes these things take time, and you really have 4 quilts in those 2!!

Chookyblue...... said...

definitely a challenge........but both sides look great.........