Thursday, April 7, 2022

Retreat @ Esk

A group of like-minded sewing/craft people gathered at previously untested Twilight 2 Twilight Retreat @ Esk 25th - 28th March.
There were 6 of us - one was bestie Maureen, two were friends of hers who I have met a few times before, and two "new to me" girls.

Our organiser got us to volunteer for meal duties and of course, we all took extra  . .just in case . . . we took home a LOT of food...nevermind - it will work better next time . . .

I worked on a couple of things - but didn't take a lot of pictures.

Firstly I did a bit of cross stitch - to "ease" into it all!


Then I put this top together for grandbaby #3 - due in August - (a brother/sister to Grandchild #1).
They are not finding out what gender.

Fabrics are chosen by DD1.   We had a lot of "fun" conversing via Messenger while I was at Spotlight.  They are all Jocelyn Proust prints - except the grey of course.
The backing is also a Jocelyn Proust print.


Then I added a border to this - I bought the top minus borders from a friend - for the princely sum of $5.00.

Our Sunday Stitchers group is making a number of quilts to give to a Domestic Violence Shelter. I will ponder if I add one more border, then will think about the quilting . . . 


Then I moved on to My Small World - when was the last time I touched this one???????
O
h - back here - February 2021...

I enjoyed getting back into it - but it's not really a good "retreat" project.
Even though the sewing room is well set up - and very well lit!- it still isn't really big enough to spread it all out, and my small machine isn't as good when it comes to stitching a pinwheel block together.  Never mind some progress is good and I can re-stitch the odd seam - selecting the fabrics & cutting is the big bit!

We had some heavy rain while we were there and a blackout - short-lived, fortunately - and we had to carefully time loading the car when it was time to leave.  It wasn't too wet when I dropped Maureen home - but was bucketing by the time I got to my place - so all the gear stayed in the car overnight.
Overall a fun weekend - now we know how the place works, I'm sure things will go even better next time.

18 comments:

Fiona said...

you did well at your new place retreat....great to see My Small World out to play and congrats on another grandiebaby on the way...
Hugz

Cheryll said...

It's great when plans work out... of course you can always improve... but as long as it was FuN it's worth re-doing... xox

Sandi said...

Sounds like you were productive while away - good to see you have started your HSH.. xx

Helen said...

Good progress on the HSH cross stitch, nice choice of colours for Grandchild quilt when you don't know if it is a boy or girl.....

Maria said...

Pleased you enjoyed the new venue for your retreat.
perfect colours for the new GC and good progress on the $5 quilt.
As I was looking over my Small World Quilt was wondering how you were going with yours . So good to see it worked on.

Lin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lin said...

Six sounds like a nice friendly number for retreat and it looks like it all went well. Small World is a great design so it is nice to see it surface again and good work on your other projects. xx

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh goody another retreat location...... Another new bubba coming along to how wonderful.....

loulee said...

Sounds like fun. You took plenty of choices for sewing too.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Susan wow you do such beautiful work,well done on your stunning projects ,oh how exciting a third grandie on the way ,that’s awesome news. How much mischief did you and Maureen get up to lol,so much fun with buddies 💕🤍💕

Michelle Ridgway said...

Looks like you enjoyed your new venue.....great work and congratulations on your new bub xx

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

How lovely to be away and working on such fun projects... oh! Would you believe I was just hunting for my "my small world" yesterday, thinking I should see if I got anywhere with it!!! I think you are a lot further than me, lol! xx

Karen's Korner said...

It is always good to take extra projects along as some are just not right for retreats. You certainly achieved a lot.

Raewyn said...

Lovely to hear of another grandie on the way, Susan. Your retreat sounds great...You got a lot done. Fun to have pulled out Small World again.

Janice said...

It sounds like quite the adventure attending a new retreat venue. You did well to achieve so much. How nice to have a third grandie on the way.

jude's page said...

Congrats on another grandy, sounds like the perfect time retreating with friends

Jindi's Cottage said...

6 is a nice cosy number for a retreat...glad the new venue passed the test...lovely quilt top for new grandie...

Janice said...

It sounds like a nice cosy retreat. The first time is always a learning curve. You achieved lots.