Monday, August 12, 2024

Mount Alford Retreat 2024

It was finally time for the Mount Alford retreat.
Warning:  a long post…

We normally start our retreat on Friday, go through to Sunday and then most stay an extra day or two.
But this year we had to have our extra days at the beginning, so there were only 4 of us to kick it off.  And then to make matters worse, Energex decided to do some major maintenance work in the area on our first day - Wednesday - so no power until 3 in the afternoon.  No power means no lights or machines of course - but it also means no water as it is all tank water - no toilets, no coffee!!!
So we had to plan our arrival for 3PM. (normally we would be there about 10...)

NOT HAPPY JAN!!! 

The four of us met earlier for lunch, a wander around the town of Boonah,
and some shopping including a small old-style haberdashery store - everything from pyjamas, boots and hats to patchwork supplies!!!

We were all settled in by about 5 and got cracking on the projects that we had brought along.  This is a BYO thing...there are no classes or workshops.....although there is always a "Secret Project' to make...more about that later . . 

I had a "To Do" list, originally conceived & all prepared before I knew we would lose a lot of Wednesday...and then...another project had to be added to the list....one might think I was there for 2 weeks...

I was far less disciplined doing blog posts too….normally there is a blog post every day with a picture of the To Do board….oh well….

I have some photos of things worked on by the others:

Chris….cute little dogs she makes for a shop at the hospital 


She also made some bunnies for the  shop

Helen made a cover for her machine from a gorgeous Tula Pink fabric


and a mug bag...though I have no photo.

Alison made 5 flower blocks for the project that De is working on for the charity quilt for Sunday Stitchers.


Cheryl made this top which will be a quilt for the Spinal Unit at a Brisbane hospital 

Cheryl also made up some hankies

and a flower for the same project as Alison


Erica made a skirt for herself

And a red skirt for one of her granddaughters….there was also a blue one for the other granddaughter...but no picture

Sue put this top together

and made up a bag

Maureen made serviette holders for a Quilt Show and fete that is coming up

And two sets of placemats

And 14 cute little Tooth Fairy hangers

Louise made this lovely pink bunny door stopper

Bev worked on a few projects - but mostly on these.  She recently attended a three-day workshop with Rachel Daisy.


Leanne put this top together 

And finished the binding on this quilt

What did I do?

I made two foundation paper pieced blocks to go with the blocks I made last retreat <here>

I made a drawstring bag, coaster and scrap bucket for my Sunday Stitchers meetings
I worked on two shop blocks


I put my I Spy quilt top together….this was my Rainbow Scrap Challenge project from 2023….this is Milo’s quilt for his second birthday which is soon.




I made this Pansy quilt top….this will be a charity quilt for DV….the plan is to add a 1” coloured border….maybe green, purple, pink…???…then a 4” blue border….need to check the charity stash…


So, my list now looks like this - I realised I only needed two more FPP blocks, so crossed one out and the two shops were partly done....not too bad really - If we had arrived at 10 on Wednesday I think I would have finished the lot..

This is the To Do board at the end….mostly we didn’t get everything done….but as usual we provide for the possible situation where we may get flooded in and need to stay for another few weeks….lol

 Challenge Project

Each year since 2014, Maureen and I have organised a project for the girls. From 2015, we have used the same fabric….with some coordinating fabrics so that we keep it going for as long as possible.

This year's project was a small drawstring bag….it would hold a few reels of thread, binding clips etc.

Here are all the projects from 2015.


And the class shot!


A big thanks to everyone for making this a fun-filled time.
And a BIG thanks to Wendy who runs the place - 
the location is gorgeous, the venue is very pleasant 
and Wendy herself is very accommodating and a lot of fun.

How many sleeps time next time?
approx 386.

10 comments:

loulee said...

Wow, some beautiful and very inspiring projects. Looks like a great group of quilters to spend time with.

dq said...

Your I Spy turned out amazing. I have never seen a better layout than the one you chose!!
Bev's project is delightful!!
I have never heard of cute tooth fairy bags - I think my grands might each need one, so, as usual, I get ideas from my quilt friends and add new projects to my list of things to do.
It is fun to see more of your shop blocks - still love them!
The challenge projects are so cute!!!
It seems to me you all got lots done even with a power outage the first day.

Anonymous said...

A great run down Susan.... it was a terrific retreat and I'm so pleased I could join in.....thank you

Lin said...

What a lovely collection of diverse projects! Everyone produced some beautiful things but I especially love those gorgeous dogs! xx

Jeanna said...

You all may not have gotten everything done you wanted but...oh my goodness! There are a lot of nice projects in this post.

Janice said...

Another successful retreat. I always love seeing what everyone creates and the white board of progress.

Maria said...

Just can’t believe how much you all get done….i think we must spent too much time chatting…😬

kiwikid said...

Looks like a very productive time was had Susan despite the power out day. You nailed your list!

ButterZ said...

Looks like a very productive retreat. You must be running short of that fabric then..

Fiona said...

Great fun and you all got heaps done....
Hugz