Tuesday, May 30, 2023

The Strippy/String Quilt

Recently in a Zoom meeting with Chooky and many others, Jude asked me about this quilt that I started at Scrub Stitchin' in April.
I had bought a little kit from Jude, complete with a very light vilene and it was packed in a gorgeous case.  The suitcase was part of the reason I bought it!

I completed 16 blocks at Scrub Stitchin',   Here are a few of them.

but as I had plenty of strips at home and they are so quick, I made another 28 blocks at home to make a top - 6 x 7 blocks (57" x 66.5).


While I was laying it out I was surprised at how much orange was in it....Orange is not a colour I use a lot...

As I was making the blocks at home and pulling bits of put the shoe boxes where I keep the strips, I thought it would be easier for the next one/s to have the strips sorted into lengths...so after making a huge mess:
I now have

I can see a lot more strippy quilts that need to happen.


This quilt will be donated to the DV organization that my Sunday Stitchers group support.

13 comments:

kiwikid said...

Love those blocks Susan, the quilt looks great! I have one of those in the plans, to use up other quilt left overs.

Helenchaffin said...

great organization on the strips! lots of quilts now waiting to be born lol luv your blocks

Karen's Korner said...

Good thinking there "99" with your nicely labelled boxes.

Lin said...

Simple but oh so effective! Great use of odd strips - of which you have rather a lot!! xx

ButterZ said...

Good on you for getting the strips sorted. Now to get them sewn into blocks

Fiona said...

The quilt looks great..... and what a good idea sorting strips like that....will make it a lot easier

Hugz

Janice said...

It didn’t take long to make that top. Very effective. You are extremely organised with your remaining strips. Have fun playing with them.

jude's page said...

Love it Susan. You can do so much with strings!! My organising fairy is very impressed with your strip sorting. Perhaps we need to do that here.

Denice Barker said...

I do love string quilts, I've made two...well, one. The other is still a pile of blocks. But they are fun to do.

Raewyn said...

Well done withe the blocks Susan - the quilt top looks GreaT! Such an effective design and such a good use of the strips. Awesome organising of your strips for next time!

dq said...

So much work/play is happening here! Those boxes with labels are just so cute!

Chookyblue...... said...

I would like to make one of those quilts........
yours looks good and yes lots of orange esp if your not an orange fabric girl.......
wow all so organised now........

Chookyblue...... said...

oh and yes Judes kits are great and come in the cutest boxes.....