Tuesday, July 25, 2023

My Claytons Retreat (aka Sunday Stitchers At Boonah Retreat) Day 4

Each year at this retreat we have had a Mystery Challenge.  This year we were asked to bring scraps - any shape & size.

The challenge this year was to make crumb blocks.  I have never tried these before, I started, but realised they were looking more like crazy patch blocks - so I did a bit of Googling to get me on the right track.  The secret is to have at least one straight edge on each piece and then sew two pieces together.  Repeat - so make sure the new piece has a straight edge and join to another piece.

It was going well - using the offcuts from my houses and trees - but there was not enough variety - and I had sent all my scraps to the girls at Boonah....I certainly wasn't going to deliberately create new scraps!!!

So, I got to this point.

These crumb blocks will be put together by De as  DV Charity Quilt.

The other thing on my To Do list for the retreat was to make more black red and white blocks to go with the ones I made at the last retreat.

I made 11 - but I have just about run out of black red & white - I have 30 blocks - though I wanted 42. . .so will ponder the next stage in this quilt top.


This will also be a DV Charity Quilt.


Day 5 still to go - might get back to some of my stuff - maybe the ABC Book that is overdue, or the baby quilt for the new grandie - also overdue!!!



8 comments:

Jeanna said...

I tried crumb blocks once and really struggled with them. Yours turned out nice. I also like the red and black string blocks. Are you using a foundation paper for these?

loulee said...

You're making great progress. I struggled a little with crumbs, I was over thinking fabric placement and colour choices. Can't say I ran out of crumbs though. LOL

Janice said...

You may have come to a standstill on these projects, but at least you are using your scraps. Good job.

Lin said...

Colourful crumb blocks and your black red and white are great, will make a stunning quilt. xx

Chookyblue...... said...

you have been very industrious on "retreat"..........
maybe you could do a little on the overdue ones......

dq said...

Still loving those strings in black and red.

kiwikid said...

Great string blocks and you r crumb blocks are wonderful too, great way to use up all the odd bits.

jude's page said...

If you want more black, white and red, I'm sure I can find some!!!