Monday, April 18, 2022

FNSI ~ EWSI

Wendy's FNSI was declared an EWSI - and as I had hoped to get a bit of sewing done over my very long weekend - I thought it was perfect.
I don't work Thursdays so I had a 5-day break!!
 - No need to read all this - its just for my record & a bit of fun!


Thursday was a sewing day at home with a group of friends - we spent a bit of time talking about some charity quilts we are making and cutting and sorting of fabrics.

I also did some of the hand piecing for my Willowbrook quilt.


Thursday night, I prepared some 2.5" strips for a jelly roll race quilt.
At SS - a number of us are making quilts for  a Domestic Violence Shelter.
My bestie - Maureen was on a "destash" mission and had cut some of her balis into 2.5" strips and gave them to me.  The strips were a mixture of lengths - some half some more - somer whole width of fabric - so it was a bit of a gamble to see if they would work into a quilt of a decent size - We created 5 groups of about 55 strips and I added some pink/orange/green/blue stripey bali 2.5" squares to each bunch.
The first step was to match a square to a strip, ready to be sewn the next day.

Friday:
Another charity project was to use up some oriental squares I had collected over many years from membership of Logan’s Patchwork with some fabric recently collected for free.

These little piles are ready to be sewn into a quilt.

Then I got back to the jelly roll strips.

I added the squares to the end of each strip and made the long piece . . . then started the very long seam - one hour.  As you know, each seam after that one is quicker.
Considering the randomness of the lengths and fabrics - it has come up OK.
We will probably add some borders - when we have all the tops made.

Friday NIght - a bit of crochet as usual!
Then, I have a box I keep all the fabrics in for my ABC books - that stuff was all "messed up" - so I emptied the box - re-organised the fabrics, removed ones that won't get used in an ABC book, and then matched the pre-traced letters with the appropriate fabrics and ironed (glued) them.

Saturday 
Chooky organised a Zoom meeting - I trimmed the letters from Friday Night, cut some 1.5" strips into 6.5 and 8.5 pieces  . . .   and did a bit of cross stitch...

Then the "domestic Duties" took over.   😝

Saturday Night 

I prepared some sky pieces for the Sue Spargo Homegrown houses I am working on.  I'm trying to get a bit ahead - even though we are only doing one a month - sometimes even that is a challenge.
I don't think I've posted these before - this is #1, 2, 3 and 4, the back of #5 as it will be revealed at SS in May and the sky for #6.
I've prepped a few of the house & flower bits for #5 and 6.

Sunday
An early call to grandson Luka to wish him & the family - a Happy Easter.  We watched him playing ball, dancing, saw the huge egg he had helped to make and decorate with sprinkles and he opened his Easter present - a book.

Then off to DD2 for a big family breakfast and granddaughter Peyton time.



Sunday Afternoon - a bit of faffing around for the houses - cutting tiny circles from felt.

Sunday Night - a bit more crochet watching the square box.  Then into Susan's Sewing Space and worked on a section of My Small World that I started on a recent retreat.

Monday - finished off that part of section 4 - still the sky to go


The rest of the day - more sorting, organising - boring stuff . . .but feels good when it's done.

That will do for a very long post about EWSI for 2022.
Fabulous idea Wendy to extend FNSI.

13 comments:

Sandi said...

very productive long weekend...well done. Did I do any sewing - ummm nup..
oh well, that's life. I am reminded I must finish my number 4 house - hopefully by the end of April... ;)

loulee said...

You had a very productive weekend.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Susan wow you sure did achieve a lot over the Easter break well done.sounds like you had some fun with the grandies and how lovely that you could see what Luke was up to ,enjoy your evening lovely lady 💕🤍💕

FlashinScissors said...

Wow! You sure had a busy weekend
Love your cross stitch- looks very pretty.
Barbara xx

Maria said...

A fun productive weekend with virtual friends and real ones.
I've never done a Jelly Roll race, must do one day.
Good to see My Small World growing.

Karen's Korner said...

You certainly made the most of your extra long weekend in the sewing room with lots of progress made.

Fiona said...

looks like a lovely weekend...
Hugz

Raewyn said...

You made great use of your long weekend...well done o squeezing so much into it! The jelly-strips have come up really well - it's a fun way to make a quilt.

Cheryll said...

WoW... you were very busy and productive. Nice work all-round...xox

jodh singh said...

awesome post, thanks for sharing.

Janice said...

That was a very social and productive long weekend. The jelly roll race top did work out well, considering the way it started. You’ll be even more productive, now you’ve had some organising time. Do you want to pop down to my place and sort some of my stuff? It needs it.

jude's page said...

Well done on achieving so much, holiday weekends are good for that!

dq said...

THe jello roll strips looks so fun!!!

THe little houses are my favorites!