Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Needle Girls Retreat @ Glenrose - Challenge Projects

My last retreat for the year!!!

2023 has been full of retreats - in many ways, it's good that I no longer work, as I would have run out of leave days!

We arrive late afternoon on Sunday - so we plan take away for dinner.  Charcy's never fails us!
The menu is extensive - burgers, fish & lots of extras!

I settled for a bacon and egg roll with sweet potato scallops.  Doesn't look exciting but it tasted good!



At the last retreat we had a challenge project - to make a zippy pouch and Sandi kindly stitched out a logo for us to incorporate. She gave us some spares too.  The original pouch is here.

At that retreat, Mdm Organiser (aka Sandi) - challenged us to make something to go with our zippy pouch for 2023.
That's easy I said to myself as I had plenty of fabric and I AM a matchy-matchy sort of person....(I may have acquired a bit more of the fabric - in case - during the year too.)

When I went on a retreat in March - as no one in that group also attends this retreat, I made 7 things.  Things that I use at a retreat - Sewing Tidy, Foot pedal mat, Scrap bucket, Bag for a thread stand, Snappy pouch for the rotary cutter/s, 2 coasters (one wine, one coffee??), Bag for charging cables and plugs, 


I thought that was plenty of things . . . .no number had been mentioned....

BUT . . . in our chat group, someone indicated that "someone else (aka Mdm Organiser)" had made 12 things . . .so the challenge was on!!!

In September I was on yet another retreat - and we had a mystery project (it ended up being a square bag) - so I did it in matching fabrics...well...why not??   And I found a pattern in the shop for a small container that I wanted to try and made that in matching fabrics.....There were two small rectangles cut out of the shape so I turned that into a pincushion. . . .

One of the ladies had a cute little needle case, so I made one of them too.

And I added a tag to the square bag.

So, that was another 5 things, but I still had ideas for more.

Total = 12

During 
October I added more things:

I made a Design Board and Sewing Machine mat
I decorated a green Yazzi bag for threads.
I painted 2 boxes and added trims - one for my walking foot and one for my machine feet.
Since the paintbrush was wet and there was a pencil just lying around - it got painted and decorated too!
Then I spied the little pincushion thing that can sit on top of my machine - which I don't use at home - it was purple...it got sucked into the plan and now it's green!
and I already had a little bag made in the green spot - so it may as well get counted!  (or is that cheating????  LOL)

 


So, that is another 8 things.....total = 20

I did not ever plan on overdoing it...but when the challenge red flag is waved . . well...I just have to bite!!!

Fortunately, Mdm Organiser is still talking to me!!!

Here are some of the things the other girls made:

Nor:

Lynda
De - I loved her spool to use as a scissor stand!
Sandi - she was determined to use up all the fabric that she had.

It was fun - next year's challenge will be simpler!

8 comments:

Maria said...

All did well in the challenge but you did ecstatically well!

Lin said...

Haha, you certainly got carried away there! Lots of lovely useful little things. xx

Jo said...

Haha that’s so funny. Well done. Over achiever. Gotta love the challenge.

Janice said...

Oh my, you did get carried away. You will need an extra bag to take to retreat to carry all your accessories - maybe you could make one to match 🤣🤣

Fiona said...

Perhaps you need to buy fabric by the bolt????? hahah... well done with all your makes...
Hugz

jude's page said...

Lots of lovely projects there, and great that you have had such a lot of retreats for the year. THink I did manage to be at one with you!!

kiwikid said...

Well done!! You certainly love a challenge!

dq said...

All of those little projects are wonderful!