Monday, February 24, 2020

Bushfire Blocks

I saw the call from Wollongong Modern Quilt Guild - asking for tree blocks - to make into quilts for victims of the recent bush fires.
Although Queensland where I live had some fires - quite a while back, and there was a lot of damage, the fires here didn't reach the epic proportions of those further south.  IN Brisbane we had a few smoky days.
It was such a sad story hearing about it all.   

So when WMQG said they needed blocks, I thought that was something I could do to help.
The response has been overwhelming - and a recent post says they have now received over 4000 blocks.   That is 200 quilts.  And the final posting date is 1st March.

The blocks have come from all over the world.
Very humbling.....


Anyway - back to the tale . . .
I grabbed one of the patterns from WMQG and make these a little while back.  


A few weeks ago, I received an email at work - suggesting that we could use our Volunteer Leave days to help organisations that were still working in relation to the bush fires.  We get two days a years and mostly, I have not used both days...for a number of reasons.

But I thought I would give this a try - so asked if making quilt blocks for quilts for fire victims etc . . .was allowable - "Yes, go for it, a great way to use your Volunteer day/s" 
So, today I sewed these blocks:




The foundation pieced trees created a bit of wastage, so I grabbed some of the leftovers and make a crazy patch piece of fabric and then hand drew a tree!!! 
(Well I know its simple...but I do not draw well)

It's a bit wonkier than planned...I had a mishap with the trunk - but it is going to a Modern Quilt Guild and I think I recovered it well enough.  Maybe if you zoom in  you will see some decorative stitches on the trunk!!!



All the blocks are over sized as requested by the Guild.

So, that was my Volunteer Leave day.... Maybe I can use the second one the same way....

I'm also working on some QAYG blocks to send away. 19 1/2 done - aiming for 35 - enough for one quilt.




10 comments:

Raewyn said...

A worthwhile way to spend your day! Your blocks look great - even the 'wonky' one!!

Vicki said...

The blocks are fantastic and what a good way to use your volunteer days.

kiwikid said...

Wonderful way to spend your volunteer day, the tree blocks are beautiful, the bottom one isn't wonky, trees come in all shapes and sizes. Great way to use up scraps on the last block, love the leafy trees too.

Michelle Ridgway said...

They look wonderful Susan and such a fantastic result.....4,000 blocks! I think your volunteer leave was used to great effect xx

Janice said...

What a great initiative at your work and a wonderful use of your time. All the blocks turned out great.

Karen's Korner said...

What a fantastic response from all for such a worthwhile cause. Great blocks.

Fiona said...

Great blocks you made using your specail leave days....
Hugz

Maria said...

Beautiful blocks you made on the special leave days....

Andrea Charles said...

All these for a good cause makes my heart go light. The patterns match the cause. The blocks have come out well. There are different shades of green used in one plant that makes it look realistic. It is a great deed to collect 4000 blocks. Susan, great way to spend your volunteers leave.

VasanthMusicCoimbatore said...

Dear Susan, I work as a arts and craft teacher in a school in Coimbatore. I came to know about your website through my friend. Each of your blogs is excellent. I ensure to try out all the crafts once you post on the blog. You are doing an amazing job.