Monday, August 31, 2026

Summer Village

Bestie Maureen was gifted a full fat quarter bundle of the Tilda Blue fabrics by one of her groups as an early special birthday present.

She decided to make a few quilts from them....including Summer or Winter Village - a pattern by Laundry Basket Quilt.

                               


Two of our friends have made this quilt, and I have always admired it ...well, maybe not the one with the snowflakes...LOL....and of course, it's houses....Need I say more???

So, I decided I would tag along with her and make that quilt too.  We have been looking for a project we can do together.

I like to have "a plan", so that I keep on track . .  I sent a message to her . . .vaguely about when we would make it  . . .she came back with February 2027....!!!!!!    6 months????   No, she meant starting in February....    After a bit of toing and froing, she decided she needed to have one house made for her birthday in September and the top finished by her next birthday.

A plan was hatched:
August to January, 1 house block per month
February 3 blocks
March 4 blocks
April 3 blocks
May 4 blocks
June 3 blocks
July sashing and border
August applique
Top completed by midnight on 11th September....at the latest???

I thought about the background - white, cream grey - all very predictable and similar to the other house quilts I have made, so I started thinking about using something like a blue...I had been looking at Pinterest for ideas.

I went shopping and found a fabric I decided would be very different and work with the strong colours in the Kaffe Faset fabrics I had already decided to use.

I am the kind of person to rush in and start something new. . . . is that why I have a loooong list of UFO's??   Anyway, I didn't tell Maureen, but I had this block completed by 24th July . . .ssssh...it's our secret.  Once you decide on the fabrics, it's pretty quick to make up.   Good directions, including which direction to press the seams.


The colour doesn't show well here - it's a darkish taupe brown.

I added the sashing for the picture, just to see how it goes. 
I'm happy with it.

I am vaguely using the colour scheme in the picture on the left - a bit like a colourwash rainbow effect - red in the top left - moving to orange, yellow, green, blue & purple.
I have laid out the fabrics I have and have kitted the fabrics for most of the houses.
I need to find some more orange/yellow and maybe a green or two.....  



1 comment:

loulee said...

LOL Yes, you seem to have a 'thing' for houses. Have fun creating your latest village.