Saturday, August 5, 2023

FNWF and Retreat Day 1

FNWF

Happily joining Cheryll and cyber friends, as well as physical friends for a Friday Night Sewing.  As you can see - I am on a retreat!!!
Four days of sewing, fun, friendship, good food, maybe a drop or two of wine . . .

For FNWF, which started about 3:00PM I worked on some red black & white string blocks.   I made 11 - which, with the ones I made previously - should be enough for a 6 x 7 block quilt for charity.


Retreat

This retreat started as part of my Loose Threads group - so we still call it the Loose Threads retreat.  "Back in the day", the numbers could be flexible, so we had Loose Threads people and a couple of extras....Over the years, things have changed and we now must pay for 12 people - so we have a number of extras....We did call ourselves MARS - Mount Alford Retreat Sisters in 2021 when we couldn't go (due to COVID), but it didn't stick!

Mostly, we arrived at about 10.30, unpacked and organised ourselves.
Then off to the infamous Mount Alford Hotel for lunch.


Back to the sewing room:

My plans for the retreat are:
1. 2 blocks of My Kinda Town
2. As many black, red and white string blocks as I can make..I think 11 is enough!
3. Meg's Baby Quilt 
4. Any number of crumb blocks (depending on available fabrics)
5. 2023 Challenge Project

As you can see from above, I started on the string blocks.
These are very quick and I got through 11.

And ONE crumb block - they take forever . . .especially if you make one at a time.


We have a To Do Board.
Each year I hand out a small Post It type of pad to everyone.  They write the name of each project they plan to work on on a separate piece of paper and we put them on the left-hand side of the board.  As each person finishes one project - they do a Show & tell and move the piece of paper to the right.
(The board is now magnetic, so I bought little magnets to use - so much easier than sticky tape!)

By late night Friday, we had this:







10 comments:

loulee said...

Those red and black blocks look great.

Karen's Korner said...

Nice work on those string blocks.

kiwikid said...

Great blocks and I really like the idea of the board - keeps you on track!

Lin said...

Again!!!
String blocks look great. I found with the crumb blocks it was easier to make larger pieces and trim them down then use the trimmings to start the next block.
Good to keep track of what everyone is doing and satisfying at the end to see how much is achieved. Have fun - and wine. xx

Maria said...

Nice pile of string blocks and a good start on the crumb .

Fiona said...

Great start... have heaps of fun...
Hugz

Anonymous said...

Love the string blocks..... the white board looks very busy.....
Good list, hope you get them all done....

Jeanna said...

Your black and red string blocks look great. I love the To Do Board idea. It will be fun to read your retreat updates.

Chookyblue...... said...

I'm sure you will get heaps done....

jude's page said...

I do agree that crumb blocks are time consuming