Saturday, June 17, 2023

FNSI - June

Time for Friday Night Sew-In for June hosted by the lovely Wendy.
Occasionally, I am envious of Wendy living in tropical Queensland - only very occasionally - but as Brisbane is having a "cool" spell at the moment, this could be one of those times....lol

FriDAY saw me at a lesson on using my embroidery machine to quilt quilts.  When I bought this rather pricey big machine - a lot of the "justification" was that I could use it to quilt and save money by not getting my quilts done . . . Well, it is possible... and like lots of other things - it gets better with practice...but nothing really overcomes the issue of the bulk of even a smallish quilt.

But I did the lesson - picked up a few tips (I have had lessons before) and by the end of Friday Night I have quilted almost half of the quilt.
I need to work on the spacing of each row, but otherwise, it isn't too bad... certainly not perfect now , , but it's progress.
I will keep going on other quilts and may consider the quilt design before I make the quilt so that the sizes gel better . . . .A Voyage of Discovery.

In the early part of the evening, I decided to make Musk Fudge that I had seen on Facebook.
The recipe says 2 packets of white choc and 2 packets of musk sticks, plus a tin condensed milk, butter & vanilla essence.  It is cooked in a slow cooker.

Today (Saturday) I've tried it.  If iI were to make it again, I'd do 3 packets of musk sticks as the musk flavour is very slight.  Worth a try I suppose...I will take it to retreat.
Update:  it seems not all bags of musk sticks are the same size.  The Coles ones are 160g - the Woollies ones are 320g...Two of the bigger ones would work much better.

And I did a bit of crochet...not much.


Thanks Wendy - its always fun to gather in cyberspace. (and it makes me do a blog post.)

Today - Saturday I am packing for a retreat - this time I had to take one for the team as one of the regulars couldn't go.  Well, that is how I explained it to DH.
It will be fun - and productive - projects listed and packed . .  .BUT it is going to be cold - especially overnight.  Predicted minimum temperatures started at -1 and rose to 1.  This will mean a brisk walk between the sleeping rooms and sewing rooms...brrrrr




11 comments:

Lin said...

Your quilting looks great from here. I thought you were doing something with rhubarb when I first saw the picture! Never heard of musk sticks so had to google. Must admit they sound disgusting to me, cant imagine something tasteing of musk! Have fun on your retreat. xx

Helenchaffin said...

I think my digital machine does embroidery,I'll have to check into that further lol luv the backing you've got going on the quilt,I use to crochet many many moons ago

Chookyblue...... said...

OMG where are you going for retreat? Have a wonderful time..... But that's way too cold for you......

kiwikid said...

Your quilting looks fantastic, well done! Have fun at the retreat.

Karen's Korner said...

Nice work on the quilting. It is a challenge pushing a quilt through the throat of the machine. Enjoy your retreat.

Maria said...

You have made good progress doing the quilting as it's a;ways hard to pull quilts through a domestic machine.
Oh that's cold at your retreat. Thankfully the ones I go to all is under one roof.

Fiona said...

The quilting looks great.... just keep going at it. Does that musk chocolate end up like a fudge? Enjoy your cold retreat ..... hope it has good heating
Hugz

dq said...

Your machine quilting looks very nice.
Ya, too bad you had to take one for the team and do a quilt retreat. I feel so bad for you "hee hee".

Pink Rose said...

Hi Susan beautiful work on your quilting and the slice sounds yummy ,I love musk sticks ,hope you are well 🌹🤍🌹

Janice said...

Good on you for learning more quilting techniques with your machine. It will be worth persevering. I like the pattern. Have fun at retreat. Warwick? Good on you for “taking one for the team”. Such a sacrifice. I’m sure you will survive the cold. There will be heaters. I’m sure you will have lots to share afterwards.

Denice Barker said...

Musk?