Wednesday, May 26, 2021

A Letter to My Daughter

I started this project earlier in the year - I had a bundle of fabrics that I thought would work well - added a few from stash, then remembered a bundle of greys and blacks that bestie and I had talked ourselves into last year....so I added the greys for the backgrounds. I have bought a few more - not many

The pattern is available in Homespun magazine and this time I did an electronic subscription (to save the bulk of the magazine - and the quandy afterwards - do I keep these or not?)

I joined the Facebook group and this gives me a "goal post" to aim at.   It's not a competition - but trying to get each month's blocks done before the next publication does "encourage" me to keep at it.

I posted my finished Blocks 1 and 2 there - but not on my blog.

So here are blocks 1 and 2


I have finished Blocks 3 & 4 now.







That bee block had a LOT of stitching in it - mostly now it's just words.

As I'm keeping to a limited colour palette - my bees are black & blue - not yellow.

I thought I should at least check to see if bees do come in a variety of colours...
Yes they do (phew lucky me!!!!)
From this web site I see:



I know this all a bit too factual, but I am planning on giving #1 Granddaughter this quilt - (she isn't born yet....) and I will make up a little story/book to go with it.

Now I can get back to all the other important projects.

10 comments:

Fiona said...

I do love the colours you have chosen... and that little splash of pink is just perfect... I love the Aus blue banded bees so it's lovely that they are included in your quilt...
Hugz

kiwikid said...

Great colours and your blocks are gorgeous. Very interesting about the bees.

Lin said...

Lovely. Great idea to add a book with info about the quilt. We have deep blue carpenter bees and they are huge! Good to have them around though and they are not agressive. xx

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your blocks look gorgeous. I love these colours you've chosen.

Chookyblue...... said...

Letter to my grand daughter is looking great.... Blue bees must hang out with blue chooks.....

Sandi said...

Lovely Susan and to create a little story to go with the quilt is a fabulous idea... I can actually say I have learnt someone too - different coloured bees, who would have thought - mother nature is wonderful...xx

Helen said...

Your blocks are coming along nicely and love the colours.....
A very informative post....

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Such pretty blocks! Love the fabric you've used, it's going to be a gorgeous quilt xx

Maria said...

Your choice of fabrics look great and I did know about different coloured bees but it’s interesting to see there is so many...thanks....

Janice said...

Looking good. I like seeing different colour options. We get the occasional blue banded bee in our garden, so you are in keeping with the Aussie native bees.