Saturday, March 20, 2021

FNSI - March

Friday Night again - and time to join Wendy and many more crafty souls from all over the world in FNSI.

First up I did a bit of experimenting with some of the decorative stitches on my machine - I know it's not the same as handwork - but I think sometimes we should give our machines a go at creating stuff.  I have a fairly up market machine (the intention being that I could use the embroidery unit to quilt my quilts...I haven't really got to that point yet due to lack of time ...and maybe enthusiasm...)...and it has LOTS of stitches.
I have a project that I let myself get caught up in (= sucked in)  and I wanted to get some fancy edges to some small blocks.

So I tried a few here:

Then it was dinner time & TV watching time so I sewed some of the binding for this baby quilt.


Then the footy came on so I exited the TV area and moved back to my sewing room - I stitched several of the little blocks.  It's under wraps for now ,  . . .but in my experimentation, I found this heavy blanket stitch.  I think it mimics hand stitching very well  . . I may use it again...

Finally, I spent some time clipping some straggly threads from a quilt top ready to go the quilting fairy....(So much for purchasing that up-market machine . . LOL.)

If you'd like to join in FNSI - keep an eye out for posts on Wendy's blog - it's the third Friday of the month  . .  .and she has a prize each month!!!   (and real people win - see my previous post!)

I hope to get to a lot more sewing this weekend - today a friend of my daughter's is coming over - she intends making a quilt from her old lacrosse T shirts etc.....she is not a sewer so we will need to start with a few basics . . . 
And tomorrow is Sunday Stitchers and we are going to spend the day making blocks for some charity quilts....Guess I will squeeze in some sewing tonight too...
Monday comes all too quickly.

Hope everyone is well...and getting jabs when possible.







15 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Sounds like you have a lovely stitchy weekend planned. Happy Sewing!

Cheryll said...

It's a great idea to use some of those stitches...I use the hand quilting stitch a lot to frame things.
It was lovely sewing with you last night at FNSI...xox

Karen's Korner said...

You have some lovely stitches to play with there. Enjoy.

Lin said...

I do wonder how many people ever use the full potential of their machines! That blanket stitch does look very useful. xx

Maria said...

Great job trying out those stitches on your machine . I’ve only ever used a few on my machine.....
You have keep busy working on many different things...
Say Hi to the ladies for me And enjoy your day ....

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

How fun to spend some time working on decorative stitches with your machine. I certainly need to do that sometime. Have a wonderful weekend quilting.

Fiona said...

love where you are going with your mini stitcheries... looking forward to the final reveal..... one day the quilting fairy will down tools and you will have to use your machine but in the meantime she loves to play with them.... sounds like a busy weekend at your place....

Hugz

Flickenstichlerin said...

Cute stitcheries, your post sounds like you had a lot of fun playing and stitching.

Janice said...

You did do lots. It looks like fun playing with the various stitches.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Lovely assortment of things to do on a Friday night! xx

Kaisievic said...

Lots of lovely stitching, Susan - what a fun Friday night!

Susie H said...

Sounds like you had a full weekend. Hope you've made the recovery from all that activity! haha! The baby quilt is adorable and I hear that making a "booklet" of your machine embroidery stitches in several different widths & lengths really helps to keep it at the ready for when you do want to use them. Good luck!

Vicki said...

Great idea to try out your machine's range of stitches. I've finally got round to using the zig zag on mine and I've had it for about 8 years - should really really see what else it can do!

kiwikid said...

Wonderful idea to be trying out your machines different stitches, I spent time in the sewing room while the footie was on too.

jude's page said...

I love to play around with all the stitches on my machine, but do admit it has been quite a long time since I have, must move it up on the list of things to do.