Saturday, October 21, 2017

FNSI - October

Yay For Fridays -the end of the week and time for relaxing, unwinding and sewing.

Tonight I crocheted while watching TV - BH&G.  I make crochet or knitted squares to give to a friend who makes them into blankets for the needy.  I find this a good thing to do in the car during the short trip to work - or on  a longer trip - and also when my head is just too overloaded to do some stitching.  I used to only knit them, but the crocheted one grow so much faster and are easier to carry around (since the crochet hook is a lot smaller than the needles).


After BH&G was finished I continued on with another project. 
I bought a new sewing machine in August - it also does machine embroidery - so to make sure I get the most out of the machine I signed up for 3 classes - we had to make a quilt and then quilt it.  The pattern was chosen for us - its quite a dense pattern and probably not one I would have chosen - but it has been a great learning tool - I seriously need to work on placement and lining up the patterns - but I did intend this to be a sampler and it will probably be donated to an aged care home or similar.

I still have a lot more blocks to stitch - 11 minutes per block (and I cannot count how many bobbins of thread!!!) - so I read or trace patterns or hand stitch while its happening.

Thanks to Wendy for rounding us up again - although I probably would have done some sewing without FNSI - it makes me get back to my blog - I have some serious catching up to do!

Click here to find everyone else - there is always a huge variety of projects.

12 comments:

Maria said...

Nice to enjoy crocheting while watching TV.
Your quilting looks great.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

That's beautiful quilting Susan! So glad you are making the most of your new machine... xx

Karen's Korner said...

Enjoy your new machine. I have the same arrangement with a friend - I knit squares and she sews them up for Wrap with Love. Something to do in front of tv of a night. I usually manage to get 2/3 per week done.

retdairyqueen said...

Oh Wow Your quilting looks amazing
Nice crochet too

Michelle Ridgway said...

Nice to have a go to....relaxing project. Wow your quilting is great....enjoy your new sewing friend xx

Jeanette said...

Gorgeous quilting. The crochet looks great. Hugs,xx

Helen said...

Beautiful quilting , enjoy your crocheting:)

Fiona said...

lovely to have some crochet to do... your quilting looks wonderful....
Hugz

Narelle said...

Your quilting looks great 😊

Janet said...

The patterns are dense but quite lovely! How nice that you can do that on your machine if you want to.

Susie H said...

New sewing machines are such a challenge to learn but I'm sure you'll be a pro really fast. Looks good so far!

Bethan said...

A lovely idea to crochet and knit squares to donate. The quilt is looking stunning - such brilliant patterns x