She decided to make a few quilts from them....including Summer or Winter Village - a pattern by Laundry Basket Quilt.
Two of our friends have made this quilt, and I have always admired it ...well, maybe not the one with the snowflakes...LOL....and of course, it's houses....Need I say more???
So, I decided I would tag along with her and make that quilt too. We have been looking for a project we can do together.
I like to have "a plan", so that I keep on track . . I sent a message to her . . .vaguely about when we would make it . . .she came back with February 2027....!!!!!! 6 months???? No, she meant starting in February.... After a bit of toing and froing, she decided she needed to have one house made for her birthday in September and the top finished by her next birthday.
A plan was hatched:
August to January, 1 house block per month
February 3 blocks
March 4 blocks
April 3 blocks
May 4 blocks
June 3 blocks
July sashing and border
August applique
Top completed by midnight on 11th September....at the latest???
I thought about the background - white, cream grey - all very predictable and similar to the other house quilts I have made, so I started thinking about using something like a blue...I had been looking at Pinterest for ideas.
I went shopping and found a fabric I decided would be very different and work with the strong colours in the Kaffe Faset fabrics I had already decided to use.
I am the kind of person to rush in and start something new. . . . is that why I have a loooong list of UFO's?? Anyway, I didn't tell Maureen, but I had this block completed by 24th July . . .ssssh...it's our secret. Once you decide on the fabrics, it's pretty quick to make up. Good directions, including which direction to press the seams.
I thought about the background - white, cream grey - all very predictable and similar to the other house quilts I have made, so I started thinking about using something like a blue...I had been looking at Pinterest for ideas.
I went shopping and found a fabric I decided would be very different and work with the strong colours in the Kaffe Faset fabrics I had already decided to use.
I am the kind of person to rush in and start something new. . . . is that why I have a loooong list of UFO's?? Anyway, I didn't tell Maureen, but I had this block completed by 24th July . . .ssssh...it's our secret. Once you decide on the fabrics, it's pretty quick to make up. Good directions, including which direction to press the seams.
The colour doesn't show well here - it's a darkish taupe brown.
I added the sashing for the picture, just to see how it goes.
I'm happy with it.
I am vaguely using the colour scheme in the picture on the left - a bit like a colourwash rainbow effect - red in the top left - moving to orange, yellow, green, blue & purple.
I have laid out the fabrics I have and have kitted the fabrics for most of the houses.
I need to find some more orange/yellow and maybe a green or two.....



LOL Yes, you seem to have a 'thing' for houses. Have fun creating your latest village.
ReplyDeleteOoh yes, love those colours - I also loved the colour wash effect in the original! Good luck with keeping up with your plan. xx
ReplyDeleteThe plan looks really good... your block turned out beautifully. Wonderful colors—that red of the house with the border...
ReplyDeleteI wish you lots of success and enjoyment.
Viola